Saturday, August 2, 2008

London! London?

So it seems there's a job in London for me. It's with my company, so I can put it out in the open. The head of the UK office says I'm his first choice for the job and he won't give it to anyone until I've turned it down. This is very nice of him, although I have to say that when I stop to consider how many messes over there I've fixed from here, I see where he's coming from. The problem is, we haven't really discussed any of the relevant details of the job, minor things, you know, such as salary and relocation etc. And of course he is currently vacationing in Kenya for three weeks (imagine the vacation days I'd be getting - double of what I'm getting here, at a minimum!) so it has to wait until he's back.
Meanwhile, I'm driving myself crazy by going through millions of possible options in my head, browsing flat rentals in Putney and trying to figure out how much they would have to pay me to make it worth our while or rather, make it even possible for us to move, or go long distance for a while.
The mere thought of moving back home (from this distance, most of Europe feels like home) is so exciting to me that I find it hard to sleep at night. It's been so long...
Meanwhile, just to make things a little more complicated, and exciting, Ritesh is applying for a research Fulbright to go to India. This is still a little ways away, but certainly enough to add to my craziness...

4 comments:

The Speaking Goat said...

I hope it's not the grumpy mean London people you've mentioned before - you know those who could only go to the effort of reaching for naff chocolate in airport departures?

Anyway - hope it works out. It'll be a change of diet! and weather.

Petra said...

there's only one person left in that office who's difficult, thankfully, and it looks like he's being contained by the nice people around him, so there's hope. And I would gladly take on the task of buying chocolates for the LA office !

yeah, the weather...ho hum.
But Indian food in London is so much better than here!

The Speaking Goat said...

Oh yes British curries are the best! London does have a fantastic range of culinary adventure - Jamaican curried goat (!) - lots of middle eastern and eastern European (especially Polish), African, and of course, there'll be haggis....

Petra said...

yeah, haggis, can't wait!