Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fri, Aug 22 - flight to Paris

10.25pm - mint tea from Starbucks and some peanut butter crackers from some airport store, waiting at the gate at Los Angeles airport.12.46am LA time (3.46pm Paris time)- welcome dinner aboard the Air France flight to Paris, including a glass of champagne, a personal bottle of chardonnay, some grilled salmon with a tomato coulis on saffron rice, a provencal pasta salad w/ olives and tuna, some cheesecake, fresh strawberries, and bread and cheese, of course. God bless the French and their airline.
8.02am LA time (5.02pm Paris time) - breakfast on board. Even Air France has to scale things down a bit it seems. I have fond memories of lovely cheese and ham omeletts and toasted croissants and bread from previous flights. This was all cold :(, so all I had was juice and tea.
9.40pm Paris time (12.40pm LA time) - first meal in Paris - Moroccan! An aperitif on the house at Au Bon Couscous in St. Germain.
9.47pm Paris time (12.47pm LA time) - the tagine de Fes, chicken so tender it fell from the bone, cooked with (and buried under) onion, raisins, cinnamon and orange (juice I would think), plus a big ole plate of couscous, at Au Bon Couscous.
10.27pm - stumbled across this on my 40-min walk from the left bank through the Marais to east of the Bastille. I had so wanted to do some walking here, and loved it! Funny how you don't appreciate things - when I lived here, I spent all my time in the metro.
11.08pm - also walked past the house I used to live in on the corner of the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine and the Rue Traversiere - my window is just to the right of the circular corner thingie, third floor. The one with the broken/missing balcony. Ahem. I swear it was still intact when I left..
12.02am - my second caipirinha, with Nicole and a bunch of her friends at her farewell party at Bottleshop on Rue Trousseau. I met Nicole when we were both teaching in Rio de Janeiro, hence the caipirinhas - and tonight I caught her on her very last night in Paris before she heads back to New York, after a year at Sciences Po.

No comments: