Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Where to go from here?

So it appears I've been on hiatus for about a week now, due to a severe case of low motivation. I just couldn't get myself to take any more pictures of protein bars, turkey sandwiches and hot or cold cereals. Who knew my food intake could be so repetitive?

Truth is, I blame the exercise boot camp I've been doing with Ritesh for the last six weeks, with its strict rules of what to eat (protein) and what not to eat (pretty much everything that might look good in a photograph). The boot camp itself was a lot of fun, and we'll probably do it again, but the pictures were becoming tedious and interchangeable. I actually started cheating, as in I stopped taking pictures of the super-healthy omega-3 protein bars I was eating every day, because even I couldn't tell the pictures apart anymore. And to the extent that every day's food ended up looking like the that of the day before, mindfulness went out the window and boredom settled in its place.

I still carried my camera around, along with a nagging feeling of guilt about neglecting my blog, but gradually everything and anything else seemed more alluring than taking pictures of the muscle-building substances I was ingesting. For starters, the places where I was eating, the backdrop for the food, so to speak, was suddenly clamoring to be in the picture:

as seen here, at my favorite French-Japanese bakery, Amandine (I had to do 20 extra push-ups for that piece of lemon tart...)

at our local Oaxacan haunt, the Restaurant Monte Alban:

at the very lovely Cafe Brasil on Venice Boulevard:


Even the hardly noteworthy street behind Cafe Brasil all of a sudden seemed imbued with local color and charm:
At the same time, other food ancillaries such as catering vehicles started becoming increasingly and profoundly fascinating:

Here's a close up, this one was irresistible:

Here's one for my two Nadias (Nadya and Nadja):just around the corner from this fine dining establishment:
I developed an infatuation with pre-post-modern (i.e. non-chain) supermarkets, such as this splendid example in Rosemead:
where they sell exotically wrapped pomelos such as this one (which just for the record I didn't eat or purchase):


All this to say, I'm at a cross roads. Should I continue being a documentarian or archivist of everything I eat? Or should I take pictures of food related things that I actually find interesting?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

babe, i for one missed your postings last week. i know it get's a bit tedious, but i think you should give it another chance.

Laura Davis said...

Oh Peti I love your blog, and I have loved getting to know you! I think you should continue even if you change it up a bit and create a journal of your life, through your travels, cuisine, etc. :)
Laura

MONSTER said...

It may seem boring to you, but to me, your blog is exciting, vivid, mouth-watering, and inspiring. It has definitely led me to eat more veggies. I've also enjoyed seeing the much-traveled Fuji. I think that if motivation is lacking....you can take a break and take photos of other things that inspire and delight you, and then get back into it when you find yourself just about to take that first delicious bite of something other than a protein bar. :)

Kim Thomas said...

Love your blog! Keep going!!!!