Sunday, July 5, 2009

Raw Flag Cake - Happy belated 4th of July!

Here's my first ever flag cake, and a raw one at that... crust is made of ground almonds, pecans and dates (plus a bit of hazelnut butter and vanilla extract), then there's a layer of chocolate-banana custard (agave-sweetened, with a bit of almond extract and gelled with a bit of brown rice and flax seed meal), and the fabulous whipped cream is made from tofu, again agave sweetened and with some lemon juice and vanilla extract. I'm a big fan of real whipped cream, but this tofu stuff is pretty amazing!
This is what I was going to make yesterday for the family, assuming we'd spend 4th of July with the Pops, but then people had other plans, and although we did get to see the Pops, I didn't make this until this morning - seeing all the berries (and the tofu!) in the fridge, I figured it'd be a shame if I didn't give it a try. Can't wait to actually cut it open - just wish we had someone to share it with!

No comments: