Sunday, May 31, 2009

Padma Lakshmi

I just found out that Padma Lakshmi also has endometriosis, by way of several articles (here's the one from Newsweek) discussing her creation of the Endometriosis Foundation of America, which aims to foster awareness and encourage research into the disease which affects 5-10% of all women and as yet has no cure. Poor Padma apparently has it way worse than me, she had four surgeries already, and her first one alone took four hours (mine was just over an hour and a half). Plus she's had it since she was 16, and wasn't diagnosed until 20 years later, when her symptoms had become pretty unmanageable, while I've only had it for a couple of years and was diagnosed pretty much right away. So when she talks about how debilitating it is and how embarrassed she was to talk about it, I may think I can relate to it but really, I probably can't.

No comments: