Friday, November 7, 2008

Thurs, Nov 6 - Fish Basics Class

8.17am - vanilla hemp milk w/ strawberries, hemp seeds and black sesame seeds, at home10.07pm - tropical bumble bar, at work
10.42am - keep checking th news to make sure I didn't just imagine this...
12.45pm - the Bali Surf burger (veggie, tempeh) w/ some trans-fat free organic fries and edamame, at Native Foods, with Ritesh. He had a fabulous portobello-pesto sandwich which I'll have to get next time...
2.05pm - a vegan rose-cardamom cupcake! Very sweet frosting (although agave sweetened), but much, much better texturewise than I expected it to be. Cecy tried some and liked it, too - she said if you didn't tell people it was vegan, they would never know.
4.49pm - I think this is actually the same apple from the Variety picture this morning, I just got so busy I forgot to eat it... this is the view of the sun setting over the Pacific from the lunch room
6.12pm - half a fruit nut bar, stuck in traffic due to the protest against Prop 8 (the ban on gay marriage, in California of all places, due to outrageous Mormon lobbying), on the way to the Fish Basics class at the New School for Cooking
8.44pm - the dish my partner in crime Debbie and I cooked up: lime-wasabi salmon cakes on Asian watercress salad! This was totally one of my favorites, not to blow our own horn or anything. It's just a great recipe. Will have to re-create at home for Ritesh.
8.44pm - the almond-crusted snapper, also very good
8.46pm - a grilled halibut w/ lemon-caper sauce and roasted fingerling potatoes. Everyone just loved the potatoes, the fish was not bad, but not great. I think it could have used some marinating to pick up more flavor.
8.47pm - the artichoke-buttermilk crusted pan-roasted salmon with a mint-vinaigrette - really, really good. Would totally make this at home if it wasn't for the buttermilk...
8.47pm - my least favorite - an Asian steamed white fish with black bean sauce. Not sure if the recipe is just not that great or if the guys who made it did something wrong, but it tasted kind of how it looks...
8.53pm - my plate with a serving of everything, plus one of the great fish tacos, with fried mahi mahi and a super-lemony mayo - great stuff! I even had a sip of wine to honor the occasion!

No comments: