Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mumbai Azaan

One thing I really liked about Mumbai was that in many parts of the city, you can hear the azaan, the Muslim call to prayer. It's something that I've always really enjoyed listening to, partly because I just like the way it sounds, but partly also because of the way it makes me feel, somewhere between meditative and respectful (except maybe for that 5am one, ahem). I wonder why I've never heard it in Germany of France, what with all the mosques that are around. There must be a 'see, don't hear' policy or something (funny how that doesn't apply to church bells though). In LA, there's not even church bells.

This is on our first trip to Andheri, snacking on the roof top with Ritesh's cousin's family just after sunset. Masjid Al Haraam it ain't but it's still beautiful. Sorry I didn't quite know where to point the camera as I was recording...


This one is in a garden near Ritesh's old house by Dockyard Road Station. The path we're on is called 'joggers' circle' and we're trailing a couple of ladies, one of them in her sneakers, working out with the azaan in the background. As a bonus, you get a chorus of the omnipresent crows that are louder than anything, really...

No comments: