Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cake!

I've been cleaning up around here and found this post that never got posted from the carefree days back in early February just before the pops had his heart attack. Here it is unchanged and unedited:

Cecy, who is the nicest and kindest, got me this for no apparent reason at all: a delicious fruit tart from the legendary Cuban bakery Porto's, in the valley. Loved it - thanks so much, Cecy! I went outside to enjoy it in the sun, away from my desk, that's how special it was...

One of my Cuban-American co-workers, who in a reassuring confirmation of stereotypes bears the illustrious last name of Castro, got married recently and was sent off home to Florida with a nice wedding reception involving champagne and a luscious wedding cake. Yes, we had champagne in the middle of the afternoon, in a conference room at work, and it did wonders for morale...
I have a newly developed banana-pie radar and scored a delicious specimen for Ritesh at Amandine, my favorite French-Japanese neighborhood bakery: a great crust topped with a mousse-textured vanilla pudding, a layer of caramelized bananas and walnuts and a top layer of caramel-infused whipped cream, plus some caramel swirls on top. This was quite something. I think I'm getting really into this whole banana pie thing...
Vegan Sacher Torte from the macrobiotic M Cafe de Chaya

No comments: