Tuesday, February 3, 2009

England in the Snow

You must have heard about the snow in England these days – pretty impressive the havoc an unexpected four inches can wreak in a major metropolis! Our London office was pretty much shut down because there was no way people could get to work. Per the BBC, this was the biggest snow storm since Feb 1991, and while I was reading this and calculating that this was 18 years ago, it dawned on me that I was actually there at the time! I was an undergrad then, and I actually remember that snowfall – it was just magical, coming out of the library to find everything covered in white, and then slipping and gliding on the cobblestones on my way home. I didn't have a camera with me back then, and the only pictures I found online are copyright protected, but this is what it looked like on my way home past the Radcliffe, only that, of course, there was way more snow back then.

This was during Hilary term of my second year at Oxford (the academic year there is divided into three terms, Michaelmas, Hilary and Trinity), and Hilary was a hard one that year as I struggled through Medieval Spanish and the complete writings of ole Jean-Paul Sartre, who even at the time struck me as particularly un-wholesome and depressing. February 1991 was also the time of the First Gulf War, so there was lots of upset and demos all around. And on top of that, I had been signed up since the previous fall to go to Israel in early March as a kibbutz volunteer, and now due to the war saw more and more people from the group I was supposed to go with drop out. In the end, the war ended a few days before I flew out to Israel, but by then everyone had canceled and as anyone will tell you, I was the only international volunteer reporting for work in Tel Aviv in the first week of March 1991. All this to say, these were not particularly cheerful times, and I remember that snowfall as one of the few moments of quiet happiness and pure joy during those weeks. The dreamlike silence of snow falling, the muffled sounds and absent traffic - it felt unreal, like time stood still. Just beautiful.

Stuart Jeffries had a great piece in the Guardian today about this sentiment. Sorry about the long quote, but I just love this article and didn't want to post just the link for fear it'll become inactive at some point. It's so right on target - talk about swooning souls!

Other cities - Winnipeg, say, Moscow or Bergen - cope with snow, subdue it and go to work through impeccably gritted roads. London isn't like that: it rarely copes with anything; these days, it masters nothing. Equipped with a loveably tragi-comic public transport system, our capital fails on a daily basis. The poor suckers who live here get - at best - inured to this hopelessness. Yesterday London was so hobbled by the snow that the situation was even worse than hopeless: usually six million Londoners get to work by bus; yesterday there were no buses; the tube was even more spectacularly unreliable than usual. Even gnarly cyclists in all kinds of crypto-pervy winterwear were laid low. Just for a day Londoners got hit by something special.

For a day at least, Londoners returned to a forgotten innocence. Yesterday the headlines howled about how £2bn would be lost yesterday thanks to public transport disruption. Two words: So. What. We're in the middle of a credit crunch and £2bn is the sort of money a hedge-fund trader might find in the lining of his Armani suit. Yesterday we stopped measuring our lives in coffee spoons, overdrafts and balance of payments deficits. It felt good.

We needed the snow to remind us of that innocence. We needed it to remind us of who we are. We are not just homo-economicus, we can't be defined by the size of our negative equity, the burden of our personal debt, or numbers of en-suites. We need something more this winter than cowering at home noting down how many times Gordon Ramsay swears on Channel 4. Our new year resolutions are broken, our jobs insecure, our pensions worthless, our spirits crushed by January's post-Christmas gloom. We needed something to lift our spirits, to give us the excuse to play to no discernible economic benefit.

And yesterday here it came, free as air, falling on to my bare head as I walked down the canal towpath. I was doing what a human being should do now and again: stare. A Spanish man and I watched a heron dive from the ice into water that is starless and bible black. Would it ever resurface? What could it find down there to eat? We did what London hardly ever allows: exchanged the conspiratorial glances and then resumed the satisfyingly economically unproductive business of staring.

In London, this doesn't happen often. We trust our dour reflexive, self-poisoning moaning as a lifestyle philosophy instead. We like it that way: strangers are strange and Britain, damn everything about it, doesn't work. Why don't the buses run on time? Why are we so hopeless? Why can't something be done (usually by someone else who we can blame for their shortcomings)? And this chorus of self-immolation is taken up countrywide: why, non-Londoners ask, is the capital brought to a standstill by a little snow? Why can't you southern ponces get your act together? And the cry is international too: as I walk through the St Pancras Eurostar terminal, a French couple consulting the warnings about the tube, roll their eyes as one. He said: "Typiquement anglais. Rien ne va plus!" They both laugh, as if to say their Gallic expectations had been confirmed.

And so we surrendered to delight. We found better questions to ask: how do you roll a snowman? Where the devil are my galoshes? What have you done with my sledge? Can one get to work by sleigh? Doesn't Prokofiev sound lovely when it's snowing outside? After leaving the canal, I walked down through virgin snow in quiet back streets nestling right next to the Eurostar train line. A snowy bucolic idyll at the heart of the metropolis. I looked from Camley Street through the snow to the gothic tower of St Pancras - a Caspar David Friedrich painting had suddenly leapt before my eyes.

As I walked towards Hampstead Heath, I heard whoops and cheers. The heath was like Narnia (though with none of CS Lewis's unwonted Christian allegorising). My God, I told myself as I walked through a heavenly avenue with snow-laden branches bejewelling my steps, this is the most beautiful city in the world! (I was delirious, high on pheromones, snow bonkers, and in need of a good slap).

I stand on Kite Hill, looking across the London panorama below and remember the ending of Joyce's The Dead. "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead." My soul was swooning (there, I admit it) yesterday as I stood and saw the snow falling, not on Joyce's Ireland, but on dirty old London, reborn as a thing of beauty. It was snowing from Epping Forest to Heathrow, Upminster to Uxbridge, on duke and dustman in a way that it hasn't for ages and probably won't for a good while. Savour it, I told myself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/03/london-snow-weather

No comments: